Sunday, January 10, 2010

Grandparents' TV

So this semester I am living with my grandparents. This has changed a lot of things about what my daily routine looks like. It will be interesting to see how my media usage changes.

One thing that I have noticed right away is how much TV I'm watching. I don't just turn on the TV when I get bored. My grandparents have WAY more channels than I'd ever be able to flip though, so I've only watched TV when there is something very specific that I want to watch.

On the other hand, the TV is on a lot more than I am used to because my grandpa spends a couple of hours every day watching Fox News. He'll watch it while grandma and I put dinner on. Then instead of turning it off when we he comes in to eat, he turns it up so that he can hear it from the kitchen. I have noticed a marked difference between those meals and the ones where we can all have some good conversation. But then, if you had a 52" TV that looked like this, you'd want it on all the time too.


2 comments:

  1. So, how frequently do you have to post for this class? PS I love it. PINK!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My grandparents watch a lot of TV also or at least I feel like they do. And from the amount of AARP ads I see on TV I'd say that advertisers know it too. Why is it that we focus so much on how much TV children watch and not adults, isn't it just as harmful?

    ReplyDelete