Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Another Book

In case you are wondering, here's what I ended up doing about giving Meghan's book back:

I read the other book she lent me and gave them back at the same time. I really did like the second book (which I will get into in a minute) so it wasn't hard to talk about how much I liked it and kinda brush over the first book completely.

The other book she gave me was Sundays at Tiffany's by James Patterson. I have never actually read any of his other books, but even I can tell you that this one is not his normal fare. He's more thriller/mystery and this was more feel good romance - with a twist. But I really enjoyed it.

I'll give you a brief synopsis without actually ruining it. Basically it's the story of a girl who has an imaginary friend when she's 8. He's pretty much the perfect man: he's a great listener, he tells her she's beautiful, and gives her the support that she's lacking in the parent arena. But, according to Imaginary Friend rules, he has to leave her when she turn 9. Then, 20+ years later, she runs into him.

This story was really intriguing to me. It's based on the idea that these friends actually do exist and are simply invisible to those who aren't supposed to see them. They go around from kid to kid helping them learn about themselves and the world around them. It shows a little of what they do when they are between kids. It was fun to read and not too heavy on the content so I was able to read it in one sitting.

The things I didn't like were minor. The ending felt a little hap hazard. Almost like the author hadn't made up his mind on how it was going to end until the last 4 or 5 pages. But he's a mystery writer, I guess he was just trying to keep the reader on his toes. And of course there was a page or two that I skipped completely because of the content. But you see it coming a mile away, so it's easy to avoid.

Overall, a fun read. And I'm glad that Meghan lent it to me. (It's now being passed around the office. I think Jillian is reading it next.) And not only because I got to use it as a cover for the other book that I never actually got more than about 60 pages into. :)

My next book will be: The Help by Kathryn Stockett

No comments:

Post a Comment